Saturday, March 19, 2011

March 14

We are teaching a family in Fernley that has a 19 yr old daughter who is really interested. The rest of the family is too, but are very Catholic. On Tuesday we went by and taught them, and ended up teaching a lesson, teaching some English, learning a ton more Spanish, learning things not to say and Spanish, and discovering that...OH NO...my Spanish is pretty Mexican. Dang. I didn't really want Mexican Spanish, but that’s the vast majority of people that I talk to, so its hard not to pick that up.

I feel like I can speak/understand Spanish decently enough. I still have to say "manday?” a lot. I have no idea how to spell it, but its phonetic so, I guess that will do. It’s harder if they are from DF because they speak really fast and kind of slurred. Like a New Yorker, but in Spanish. My favorite Spanish so far is Peruvian. It’s pretty sweet. I’m not really a fan of castellano...good thing Dad doesn’t do the sh on the ll's. That is so hard to understand. Still possible, but hard. I still have tons on tons of words to learn, but we are getting somewhere. I’m learning a lot of computer words.

Last Sunday church at the branch was pretty good. We didn’t have quite as many people there, but still a really good number. We also had a few investigators there, so that’s a good thing. Church really flew by. It was pretty good.

Right now I’m trying to set up my scriptures so that I can more easily find things I need to without memorizing everything. I'll take a picture and send it next week. This week has mostly been focused on prophets and why we need them. One of my old favorites is still the best. Amos 3:7. It’s pretty simple.